Me: “Where can I find frozen fruit?”And though I didn’t think I did, sure enough this kid was right: The frozen fruit case at the Los Feliz Albertson’s is labeled “toppings.” I’d imagine other ones are too.
Grocery store employee: “We don’t have that.”
Me: “You don’t have fruit that's frozen in bags?”
Grocery store employee: “Oh, you mean toppings.”
Now, a few notes:
- The frozen fruit wasn’t located near the frozen vegetables but with the other desserts.
- He didn’t say it cheerfully, in the context of “Oh, you silly goose. We actually put those in the ‘toppings’ section here!” He said it like “You fucking dumbfuck. Why would you ask about this product in such a ridiculous, roundabout manner when any sane person would have just asked for the toppings case. Fuck.” He said it as if I had asked him, in a the voice of a bespectacled time-traveller from Victorian England, “Good sir, can you please direct me toward the whereabouts of some bottles of fermented grape juice. We’re dining with the Sultan and his concubines tonight, and they do so love the fermented juice of the Vitis berries.”
- Wait, people know that you can eat frozen fruit out of the context of sundaes, right? Like, we haven’t come to the point that we as a nation don’t think of it just as the cold version of the stuff that grows on trees but actually supplementary material for ice cream, right? But seriously — right?
- They only had berries, peaches and cherries. Is that normal? Why the hell don’t we freeze apples?
- This is why you’re fat.
- If they change the name of the juice section to “mixers,” I’m moving to the forest.