One of them I just re-encountered for the first time since I originally saw it: “Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! Excuses! 98!” It’s a perfectly odd little sketch that is very Mad TV, yes, but it’s also very funny in a way that I couldn’t imagine being on SNL. It’s responsible for the phrase ladies’ polio entering my vocabulary. I still use it today in casual conversation.
Please enjoy before it gets pulled from YouTube, which it almost certainly will:
Points of interest:
- Please note that Josh Meyers = Seth Meyers + Patrick Bateman.
- “Hello? Boss speaking.”
- “Now we’ll never get to the amusement park. I wish you were dead.”
- Debra Wilson’s delivery of “Who’s there with you?” reminds me a lot of angry Tracey Jordan.
- “Welcome to church. Love, Jesus.”
- The fact that when everyone dances around the table, they each play a different invisible instrument.
- “A bleedy bleedy blood in your stool!”
Related posts (and yeah, they’re all about SNL because I’ve never written about Mad TV before):