So everyone on Downton Abbey eats pretty well. So why and when did British cuisine get so bad?
There's a secret, abandoned subway platform beneath the Waldorf=Astoria. And, on a similar note, a Brooklyn Heights townhouse is actually a decoy subway entrance. And along a note that's related (but not exactly similar), Walt Disney kept a secret apartment at Disneyland.
also appears in Blade Runner? Because I didn't… until I set foot in it.
Scooby-Doo and the case for secular humanism.
Kate and Laura Mulleavy, the sisters behind the Rodarte fashion label, explain the best-ever episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. No, really.
How the potato changed the world.
Something that's important for any writer (or any writing-loving person) to remember: Typos aren't bad grammar. However, along similar lines: Why you should never, type two spaces after a period.
- Vajont Dam, a now-disused structure in Italy that was once considered the tallest dam in the world. A 1963 incident, however, caused a a deadly wave so great in size that it would have obscured nearly all of the sky in the photo to the left.
- The Wow! signal
- As Slow as Possible
- Zabibah and the King, the romance novel allegedly written by Saddam Hussein
- Bald-hairy, an odd (but accurate) way to refer to the succession of Russian heads of state
- Allegra Coleman, the fictional It Girl whose Esquire cover story jump started Ali Larter's career
- Blue Peacock, the "chicken-powered nuclear bomb"
- A landmark case in American birth control law that happens to be titled The United States vs. One Package of Japanese Pessaries
- The Republic of Indian Stream, a New Hampshire territory that was its own republic from 1832 to 1835
- Polybius, the game that makes people go insane
- The Crocodile Dilemma: what great minds think about
Another reason that Britney Spears wrecked everything? The current preponderance of the vocal fry among American women.
Via Time magazine, the vaguely Allega Coleman-like story of Cynthia, the mannequin who became a 1930s media superstar, a socialite (who was invited to the wedding of Wallis Simpson) and eventually a talk show host:
Rita Hayworth is super interesting, in case you didn't know.
Paula Deen's health food cookbook.
Proof that dinner at El Bulli is something I need to make happen in my life.
A sentence the world needs to be asking: "Where is Bum Farto?"
The Dyatlov Pass incident, in which nine people died as a result of aliens or military experiements or yetis or the snowbound crazies. Pretty fucking creepy, I have to say.
Flashbacks: the collected recollections of Liz Lemon:
And... follow me on Google Plus, I guess?