In the movie, Ronald accidentally kills his sister, and the mom — convinced that the authorities will not believe that the death is accidental — hides Ronald, which is well and good until the mom herself dies, the house sells and Ronald becomes a real-life boogeyman, hiding within the house from its new owners as he slowly he slips into a fantasy world of his own making.
And maybe I’d heard about this movie years ago, when a coworker described it to me but couldn’t remember the name. And then maybe I saw this other TV movie with Scott Jacoby — this rather groundbreaking one with Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen — and I finally ended up finding Bad Ronald. And then maybe I found the cover art for the DVD release of this movie. And then maybe it looked like this:
And maybe I, upon seeing it, couldn’t mentally separate this photo from the Andy Samberg character Shy Ronnie — who actually reminds me of Bad Ronald a great deal, red glasses and all — only Bad Ronald actually looks more like Andy Samberg.
I mean, right?
And then maybe I decided to rematch the original “Shy Ronnie” video — yeah, the one with Rihanna— rather than exploring Bad Ronald any further.
Previous things that are like other things:
- The doctor in this 2004 SNL sketch is a lot like Dr. Spaceman from 30 Rock
- Freddy Krueger is like the Pied Piper of Hamelin
- This video game is a lot like Twin Peaks
- This Japanese calendar illustration is a lot like The Ring
- Baby Doll from Batman is a lot like this creepy Osamu Tezuka character, Pinoko